Hello! And welcome to the ‘first week’ of our ninth Colourwerx QAL (quilt along) where we’ll be making these large 18″ bodacious blossom blocks called “ModBlossom”. This is a super fun quilt to make, and it’s a great project to scour your stash for fat quarters and scraps. We’ll also be learning a litlle curved piecing and fine tune our 1/4″ seam piecing along the way!
JOIN THE COLOURWERX FACEBOOK GROUP: First, I want to thank you so much for joining us here. If you want to meet with other Colourwerx quilty friends and aren’t yet a member of our Facebook group, I invite you to join our free QAL Facebook group where you can ask questions, share your progress and of course, post pictures of your finished projects so everyone can share in the fun! Also feel free to share this invite and any other QAL news with quilty buddies and invite them to join along in the fun!
JOIN THE COLOURWERX QUILTALONG FACEBOOK GROUP HERE
COMPANION VIDEOS: Each week of the quiltalong, also look for a companion video to be posted within the blog post like this one below. If you’d like to receive alerts to when the videos are posted and other neat tutorials and replays of our Fab Friday Live broadcasts, then subscribe to our Colourwerx YouTube channel right here!
If you’d like to view this week’s companion video to Week #1 of the ModBlossom QAL, view it here:
So this is Week#1 of the ModBlossom QAL –
First let’s review our super easy going 5-week schedule!
• Week 1 (this week) we’ll gather our pattern and our fabrics together…
• Week 2 is all about precutting our fat quarters and background yardage as well as making the template shapes included ion the pattern…
• Week 3 we’ll be piecing the large Leaf Blocks and learn a little about curved piecing….
• Week 4 we’ll be piecing the super fun Flower Blocks and fine tuning our 1/4″ seam piecing…
• …and Week 5, we’ll be putting it all together!
Here’s another picture of both the Leaf & Flower Blocks we’ll be making during the QuiltAlong. Of course, if you want to make more of these blocks, you can!
Week #1 – GATHER YOUR PATTERN & MATERIALS —
Here’s what you’ll need to join in on the stitchin’ fun –
• The ModBlossom Pattern! You can purchase it in either paper or PDF formats buy clicking the links below….
Purchase the ModBlossom Paper Pattern here!
Purchase the ModBlossom PDF Pattern here!
Just a note on the pattern: The pattern is written assuming the sewist will make the large lap quilt on the cover – that would be (6) Leaf Blocks and (6) Flower Blocks. So when you receive the pattern and start to glance through it – you may find the directions just a tad confusing or overwhelming as it speaks to cutting and making (12) blocks total. No worries….if you’re just dipping your toes in and want to make only a few of each block, just look below for yardage requirements and check back in here each week for specifics!
Pattern Insert with Templates: Also, depending upon which format you buy, (whether that be a paper pattern or an electronic PDF download) you’ll want to review the Pattern Insert page. You’ll need to trace and cut out these template shapes to make each of the blocks we will be working on.
• If you bought the pattern pattern, just trace the shapes onto template plastic or heavy card board and cut out.
• If you bought the PDF pattern, print out the last 4 pages of the pattern. Make sure your printer is set to 100%. Check the scale ruler on each pattern page for accuracy and adjust your print settings if needed. Then tape together where indicated the (2) shapes that make Template D. To complete your templates, either cut out each shape or trace the shapes onto template plastic or heavy card board and cut out.
WHAT WILL YOU MAKE DETERMINES HOW MUCH FABRIC YOU WILL NEED
Now you need to decide what you want to make while you join me in stitching up these fun blocks over the next few weeks….here’s two options to choose from:
• I Want to Make The Lap Quilt (as shown on the cover) — I’ll be making this version as we stitch together using Christa Watson’s newest fabric collection called “Stitchy” from Benartex Fabrics. It’s a super fun collection and you can order these fabrics directly from Christa at her website www.christaquilts.com.
The lap quilt (which finishes at 62″ x 80″) is fat quarter friendly so all you need is a fat quarter bundle with at least (18) fat quarters plus background yardage of 3 yards. Here are some pictures of different versions of the Lap Quilt:
• I Want to Make Just a Block or Two – If you’re unsure and just want to ‘dip your toes in’, making just a block or two of each leaf and flower version is a great fun, and you can always turn these large 18″ x 18″ blocks into pillows or a table runner when complete.
For just making a block or two – you’ll need to gather 6 fat quarters plus about 1/2 yard background yardage.
HERE’S HOW TO THINK ABOUT YOUR FABRICS TO START PLANNING FOR WEEK #2
Start thinking about your fat quarters in terms of pairs.
• Each pair of fat quarters will yield the petals for (1) flower block and (1) leaf block. If you glance at the blocks below, notice that the (2) magenta fabrics are in both my Flower and my Leaf block.
• You’ll also need a pair of fat quarters for your Leaf Centers & Flower Centers (these could also be an variety of scraps varying in size from 3″ – 4-3/4″ squares;
• And one more pair of fat quarters for your Flower Blocks Cornerstones (the 2 greens pictured).
** If you’re using a Fat Quarter Bundle with at least (18) fat quarters – you have endless pairings and options.
So go forth, get the ModBlossom pattern, and raid your stash for fat quarters or grab that bundle off the shelf that’s just been yearning to be used!
That’s it for Week #1 – that was fun! And I can’t wait to see all of your fabric selections! Week #2 we’ll cut our fabrics and preapre our template shapes!
Until then, please be sure to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions. Or feel free to post questions or progress pictures on our Colourwerx QAL Facebook Group.
Until your next colour fix and next week’s QAL post ~ happy and bright quilting always!